The synagouge in Gheorgheni is one of the few synagogues to be found- and is open for visitors on request, in Szeklerland. The first representants of the Jewish community of Gheorgheni began to settle down in the second half of the nineteenth century. In the beginning they chose to settle down around urban settlements, the situation being the same also in our case. Therefore the first synagogue of the Jewish Orthodox community in Gheorgheni was built only in 1927 with the help of donations coming from more than 1,000 members of the community in that time. During the time of the 2nd World War thousand people were deported to North-West. Inside the synagogue there is a poster made in the 1970s still to be found with the message: "We were 986 and now we are 92 left". The interior walls are covered with commemorative plates for each person in the dark years of the war.
NEGATIVE IMPRESSIONS (0)
POSITIVE IMPRESSIONS (0)
No impressions are added.
Be the first to add.
This section presents strictly the opinions and remarks of the user of the site and were published at request, with their agreement. Tourist Informator makes everything possible to eliminate the defaiming, denigrating or insulting messages, und cannot be held responsible for the content of this section.