Presentation - St. Nicholas Roman Catholic Church Gheorgheni
In the absence of historic records it is difficult to determine when did the local population of Gheorgheni convert to Catholicism and when this Catholic community took shape. Most likely this community has already existed between the 13th and 14th centuries. The Papal Registry in the year of 1332 mentions a priest named Nicholas (Nicholas), but the first church of the settlement was not located on the current territory of the town, it is assumed being somewhere around the ruins of the Both Fortress. The predecessor of the present church was built in the late fifteenth century in Gothic style and it is the oldest religious building in Gheorgheni. The only element of the church from which we can deduct its age is the inscription on a late-Romanesque semicircular stone frame dating to 1498, closing the entrance on the west side of the ground floor of the bell tower.
The church received its current baroque facade in the 18th century, when a stone-wall around it was added as well.
To be mentioned that after the patron of the church and the town got its name. The patron Saint Nicholas of the Roman-Catholic church is a character of great importance in the Christian world. Out of respect, his statue was placed in the center of the town.
NEGATIVE IMPRESSIONS (0)
POSITIVE IMPRESSIONS (0)
No impressions are added.
Be the first to add.
This section presents strictly the opinions and remarks of the user of the site and were published at request, with their agreement. Tourist Informator makes everything possible to eliminate the defaiming, denigrating or insulting messages, und cannot be held responsible for the content of this section.