Presentation - Armenian Catholic Church Gheorgheni
A part of the Armenians who had left the lands of Moldova behind amid the Turkish-Tatar invasions settled in Gheorgheni during the reign of Mihály Apafi, Ruler of Transylvania, at the end of the seventeenth century. In Transylvania there are only four regions that allowed the Armenians to settle down, one being the town and area of Gheorgheni. The Armenian church built in baroque style was built between 1730-1734. The church retains elements of a medieval stone chapel, around which a so-called "Graveyard of Foreigners" was established. The Apostolic double cross on the belltower is gilded and under the steeple of the tower inscriptions in Armenian alphabet are still preserved. Among the most noticeable elements inside the church is the baroque pulpit, the main altar and side altars furthermore an altar painting depicting St. Gregory, the baptist of the Armenian folk, painted in Venice. The curtian-wall equipped with gatetowers was built in 1748. In the past it was equipped with portholes, defense elements that are still visible from the inside wall of the court. In the niches of the wall paintings are preserved dating back to around 1750 looking over the numerous gravestones in the yard.
NEGATIVE IMPRESSIONS (0)
POSITIVE IMPRESSIONS (0)
No impressions are added.
Be the first to add.
This section presents strictly the opinions and remarks of the user of the site and were published at request, with their agreement. Tourist Informator makes everything possible to eliminate the defaiming, denigrating or insulting messages, und cannot be held responsible for the content of this section.